Happy fall everyone! It has been so long since my last post that I am not sure where to start…So lets review. We had a lovely spring with some moisture then we had no moisture for the rest of the summer. We did have a decent grass year because of the spring moisture however, things were getting very brown by early July. The fire hazard was very high and there were several fires in the Brooks area but not on the Ranch. We had an increase in our local great Blue Herons, I’m guessing it was due to a shortage of water in our drought affected area. I tried on many occasions to get a picture but they move way too fast for me, one morning there was a group of 5 flying out of the canal!
So here is what has happened (last few months) and what will be happening around the Ranch:
- The pheasant season has gone well, there were a lot of hunters early in the season but now with the snow they have slowed down.
- The cows all went home on the 28th of October.
- Neal attended the fall SRM meeting in Lethbridge.
- Neal is currently working on the 2018 budget.
- We did have a summer student, Ashley Dyck, from the U of S, she worked on ground truthing for the GVI.
- We had the barn tinned in May and it looks great and really keeps the weather out!